[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Back to Clocks

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Wednesday, 22 October 2008, at 7:06 p.m.

Howard responded to my query about a forum. Either I didn't explain it very well or he misinterpreted what I said; however, he thought we were talking of a private 8-person forum to come up with ideas and/or recommendations. He offered that such a panel, no larger than 8, could use the "backgammon suite" at the Las Vegas tourney to meet. I didn't know there was such a suite -- I could think of numerous other potential uses, but that's another posting.

Anyway, the more I thought about it the more I liked his suggestion. Trying to meet before the assembled crowd without having first at least hashed through various ideas and thoughts might be rather awkward. So, maybe we should try to assemble a representative panel and see if we can make any progress and then present it as some sort of recommendation. Or, I guess, if there was unanimity it could be just a rules change. Previous changes were accomplished only through the directors -- who, of course, are players also.

Anyway, any ideas?

If we have an eight person panel I think it should be four directors and four players. I'll nominate Patrick Gibson (as he has expressed interest), Bill Davis (for his long work as ABT head), Carol Joy Cole (a longterm voice of reason), and either Jeb Horton or Tom Machaj (as a voice of the newer directors). I've excluded Howard for no reason other than the fact that I assume he'll be busy with the tourney, this may also exclude Jeb. If Tom Machaj is not coming maybe one of the other 'new' directors could participate if not Jeb -- maybe Lynda Clay or, forgive me for not remembering his name, the guy taking over for Steve Hast in Pittsburgh. Greg Cattanach could be another possibility as he ran his tournament for a couple of years and, to a limited degree, used clocks.

Among the players, I'll nominate Neil (I think he has expressed interest, would represent most, and commands a lot of respect), MattCG (for a youthful newcomer's perspective and for his familiarity with clocks in chess tourneys), and Norm Wiggins (for the input of an older player) -- Stick could be a possible sub for MattCG and Larry Leibster or Fred Kalantari, as examples, could be a possible sub for Norm. The fourth player should then be someone who is against, or questionable/hesitant about, the use of clocks.

And I'm only more or less addressing the Championship division, but I think that would be a good place to start.

But I'm only one guy. What do the rest of you think? I believe Chuck Bower had said he would put together some thoughts on paper that might be useful as a basis for discussion. I'm sure he'd appreciate input from others if we make any progress toward organizing a forum.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.