[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Ten Things I Hate About the BG Experience

Posted By: Stick
Date: Monday, 27 October 2008, at 8:14 p.m.

These are in no particular order. Feel free to add your own, my list is always subject to change since I'm making them up on the fly.

• People who shake their dice when it's my turn when I'm thinking about a play or counting pips. It either shows they're impatient and they think my play is obvious, they're trying to rush me, or they're simply fuckin' clueless. Whatever direction it may be I try to take twice as long when this happens. I don't make it known that's why I'm doing it, I don't throw any evil stares or get pissy I figure if they're that impatient, they can wait. If I was a grownup sure, I might kindly ask "could you please not shake your dice when it's my turn?" We all know I'm not though and what grates my skin the most is blissful ignorance. If you can't figure out not to shake on my turn I'm not going to tell you, sit & spin.

• Waiting unforseen amounts of time between matches. I play fairly quickly and my matches are usually among the first to finish so of course I'll have a wait until my next. The problem is I never know approximately how long unless I know both players who are playing. I can walk by and see the score but there's a huge difference between waiting up to an extra hour for a regular match and not playing my second round match til after dinner!

• Not enough women in backgammon. A boy needs to eat.

• Negative equity to infinity & beyond no matter how you slice your ER.

• Hotel bars that close way early, midnight at the latest.

• People who think they have to set up every play to show you that they considered the play. I don't know if anyone else notices this and I esp. see it in doubles though that may be partly due to the weakness of the competition, but some ppl feel the need to show you that they considered all the options. Some need to set up a position to get a feel for it, some positions are easier to understand when set up, I get that, but you know the type of player who sets it up, or talks to himself about the play, or makes sweeping hands gestures to let you know he knows he could hit two! The more I play the more I don't touch a piece until I've decided on a play, it's not chess but envisioning your play instead of setting it up, moving it back, setting it up, moving it back, etc... seems more professional and maybe has some rewards in the long run.

• Losing when I outplay my opponent by a mountain, I'm talking Everest, not I played a 3 something he played a 6 something, that I can live with. What I mean is I played a 3 something and maybe he played a 9. (in other words he played so poorly I can't even take a WAG at what his ER is because I so seldom see it)

• Watching my opponent take ginormous passes, double/triple blunders + biggie sized where I'm over 80% and they're still apt to misplay the position if they have to...and abruptly being punished for sending over such an early cube.

• People who use my computer who I don't know without asking. I leave it in the tournament area plugged in so I can both keep rollouts running for the 83 gazillion projects I have going and so both I & others can get the bot's opinion to settle bets, look at interesting problems, and in doing so it gives me more interesting positions to post on my forums. What I despise is Random Fuck A who I see on my computer, usually online, checking their email or something at a site. You don't know what you're doing with a computer so don't touch my thousand dollar + piece of machine. If you knew what you were doing you certainly wouldn't make yourself at home with someone else's box. I've have a keylogger installed and the next person who does this to check their accounts is in for a rude awakening. While I'm on the subject for those of you who I don't care if you use it, DON'T TOUCH THE SCREEN. You can manage to say "put the checker on the 10 point" instead of touching your fat, greasy finger to my screen. I bring my laptop along to watch movies on the weekends too and as much as I love constantly cleaning the screen off due to F.F.F.F.S. (Fat Fuck's Fat Finger Syndrome)...

• People who take advantage of the unfortunate edges that backgammon affords them without feeling guilty.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.