[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

BGBlitz 2.2.1 is online

Posted By: Frank Berger
Date: Thursday, 8 March 2007, at 10:46 p.m.

HI GOLers,

I just uploaded BGBlitz 2.2.1 (http://www.bgblitz.com), a free update for all users.

Again it took a little longer than expected, but finally it is ready.

Much effort has been invested in making BGBlitz *faster*. Just do a few 3-ply evaluations with version 2.0.1 and with version 2.2.1 to see how fast it went. Optimizing the engine, using the Java server-VM were possible and support of more than one CPU give a speedup up to 6-fold speed on the best conditions and you can expect nearly a doubled speed in the worst case!! On a Core 2 Duo with 2.0 GHz BGBlitz evaluates more than 80,000 Positions per second!!

You can check under "Help/BGBlitz Mips" in the old version and "Miscellaneous/BGBlitz Mips" in the new version how fast your computer/Java combination is.

Thanks to Werner Tremmel for his help. BTW if someone has a computer with more than 2 CPU-cores please tell me. I'm curious how fast it is on a 4 (or more) CPU-box.

The move pruning algorithm in 3-ply is more efficient and at the same time more exhaustive. Additionally you can select the size of the search filter.

The tutor uses in match play EMG (Equivalent money game) values, so now is only one setting needed. Further the tutor tries to use the same evaluation depth as the "Best moves" box, so no more inconsistencies between them.

Better installation/starter for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and FreeBSD has been provided. To gain the best performance I strongly recommend for Windows user to download the BGBlitz-Version with integrated Java and for Linux/FreeBSD user to install a JDK not only an JRE.

Tony Lezards Dueller 2.4 is supported.

The Egyptian rule should work correct now

Japanese and Polish translations

Some improvements in the user interface, a couple of smaller improvements and about a dozen bug-fixes, most minor, one serious and two medium.

By the way, PartyGammon now uses BGBlitz as AI too.

I hope you enjoy. As always is feedback appreciated.

ciao Frank

P.S: Stick, I hope it's o.k. to announce it here?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.