[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Is BGO an Elitist Society?

Posted By: Stick
Date: Wednesday, 10 December 2008, at 4:17 p.m.

I've been wondering, especially of late, if an atmosphere of *elite only post here* is being fostered. The fact that I post a ton is of no surprise, it's my site, it's why I started it, it's how I try to keep it going. It's of no surprise that ppl like Neil, Chuck, MCG, Mislav, Daniel, etc.. etc.. post, they're all bg addicts who get their daily fix by coming here and they're strong players to boot.

What about the other hoards of people, why don't they post? If they're lurkers and don't want to post that's the best reason one could give. I'm only worried they don't post because they're posting with the likes of a NeilKaz or John O'Hagan and don't want to look foolish. They may not ask questions for the same reasons, or give their answers to threads posted by others because they see that the best of the best have answered, what is their opinion worth?

I could be totally off, maybe the ppl I see join, the ppl that sometimes email me, simply don't want to post, but if you do I wanted to put a short note out saying PLEASE DO. Any questions, any comments, backgammon related, always welcome. Hell, you saw yesterday I couldn't even remember how to export text so it aligned properly in Word and today I'm posting one of my own blunders and a blunder of two other world class players. We all make mistakes, and big ones, some ppl cover them up better than others and worry about making an ass out of themselves, don't bother ... I don't.

The other month I was playing with Chris Yep & some other ppl and the below position came up:

gnubg7

' '1X1X ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '

' '2O ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '

user6

Position ID: FAAAYAAAAAAAAA Match ID: UQkAAAAAAAAA

Cube decision
2-ply cubeless equity +0.5015
0.7508 0.0000 0.0000 - 0.2492 0.0000 0.0000
Cubeful equities:
1.Double, pass +1.0000
2.Double, take +1.0030 +0.0030
3.No double +0.5015 -0.4985
Proper cube action:Redouble, pass

As you can see it's about as small of a pass as you can get. When asked about it I spouted off *huge pass!* I didn't bother doing the math which is easy to do, I looked, saw no recube vig, knew how often I got off as Blue and end of story. Chris did the math real quick and said it was something like a .003 pass (dead on). So even when you get the decision right it's capable of making yourself look like a jackass, I try to prove that daily.

I could go on for hours with stories of what a donk I am, and you'd keep reading because you're sick fucks, but the point is I hope nobody isn't posting for any of the above reasons or others I haven't mentioned. I want more questions, more comments, everyone learns more that way I believe.

(and if you don't realize I put "nobody isn't" in on purpose to make some of you cringe, well you just don't know me well enough then)

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.