[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

CLOCK-troversy 2

Posted By: Coolrey
Date: Monday, 15 December 2008, at 6:08 p.m.

Ok, Now I draw former world champ Joe Russel in the first round of the Super 32 event in LA...

I double him out of game 1, and then double him in game two... He redoubles with a 30 pip lead when I have 1.5 anchors and a man up. I take it, but never re-enter either checker, (he had the ace and six points when he doubled), until he breaks the 6 point bearing off. I get gammoned to go down 1-8/13.

Yech!

I chip away at his lead due to cautious passes and stuff but he reaches the Crawford game leading 12-7/13.

I win the next game in a blitzy position, but he saves the G. I write down 8-12/13 on my score sheet. Apparently he wrote down 12-9/13 on his.

Two turns into the next game I double expecting him to auto-take, as he should.

He looks for a second or two, (I wonder why), and then he centers, (pauses), his clock and picks up his pen and score sheet. I quickly write down 9-12 on my score sheet...

About this time he notices something is wrong, and says: "Wait! I don't pass". He goes on to say that the score was 8-12 from the previous game and corrects his score sheet to reflect that, scribbling over the previous entry. However, on his score sheet he has already entered the number 12 on the next line before he noticed that he screwed up.

I called for a ruling when he was saying that he should only be penalized 2 seconds for this little mess up, and I disagree.

Pat Gibson rules in my favor, of course, what choice did he have? It seemed like an obvious ruling to me. Some might ask why I didn't let Joe change his mind, and they would have a point but I remembered Clocktroversy 1 from 2 weeks prior. I was not about to let someone who takes advantage of a senior statesman of this game off the hook.

Joe keeps complaining and I told him: "you cheap shotted Norm on Tuesday night, and now this"? He gets perturbed by that and tells me I am the guy taking cheap shots. Norm walks over because he was playing nearby... Pat is refereeing the bout. Whatever.

Finally Pat rules in my favor and Joe asks for a "committee", because he thinks Pat has given me a "favorable ruling". Pat refuses, some other discussion goes on and then finally Joe accepts Pat's final ruling.

The board is set up and I roll a 6, Joe does not roll. The argument continues, and I told him that he sat there and said that Norm spilled the drink and then let his clock run out, etc. etc. Joe calls me a damn liar, in front of my gf who was there on the Tuesay night in question. We had talked about what was said that night on the way home.

Filled with Christmas cheer, I stood up and told him: Merry Christmas, Joe!

He replied, Merry Christmast to YOU, Ray, and Happy New year too!

We discuss taking a little stroll outside so as not to interrupt any of the other matches, and he declines noting that the weather outside was frightful... Or something like that.

Bill Riles has the tape, but I can tell you it was all sung to the tune of "White Christmas". Right Bill?

Pat intervenes as our voices got too loud. I decide to take a leak, while Joe pleads his case. When I return from the bathroom, my rolled 6 is on the other side of the board and Joe's die is out of his cup there too. He is the only one who can gain from moving my legally rolled 6. Before the next game resumes, I tell Pat that I had rolled a 6 already... and he quickly states that I have to roll again, (apparently he doesn't want to appear to be sticking it to Joe twice, even though it is not fair to me). I tell Joe that is TWO cheap shots in a row, and roll another 6. He says, "you got a 6 anyway, so it doesn't matter". But that is the type of thing Joe does... He knows all the percentages, and he knows he is more likely to win the first roll if I have to re-roll when I have already gotten a 6 before. That was blatant and CS, imho. Anyway, the rest of the story is I won the next two games and the match, so to me justice was served. I doubt Joe has the same opinion! What do you think? ....

Okay so maybe I was a dick, not letting a former world champ change his mind?

Maybe he should have accepted his error like a man instead of making excuses?

I admit I should not have probably decorated him with so much Christmas cheer, when it was like 3 weeks from Christmas...

How do you like Pat Gibson's ruling?

Was a committee a better solution?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.