[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Clocks and thinking time for newbies

Posted By: Jason Lee
Date: Sunday, 21 December 2008, at 2:34 a.m.

One of my colleagues has taken up playing backgammon, and about once a week we play a match and we go over it afterwards. Yesterday we tried playing with a clock for the first time, but did it in a different way than what you're used to.

I put a ridiculously excessive amount of time on the clock, and then covered up the digital display for the entire match. The point was just to see how much time we would take playing at our normal speed. I told him to just take as much time as he ordinarily would.

We played a 7 point match that lasted 5 games... I had 91 unforced checker plays, and he had 100, plus a handful of cube decisions. I ended up using 9 minutes of reserve time, and he used 24 minutes. Obviously this is excessive for any normal time control we have discussed. The real question is this: is this excessive for somebody who has just started to play backgammon maybe six months ago?

Incidentally, I should point out that he had no trouble at all with the mechanics aside from the first couple of moves where he started to pick up the dice before realizing he was supposed to do something different.

JLee

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.