[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

GABBI Thoughts?

Posted By: Stick
Date: Saturday, 27 December 2008, at 5:14 a.m.

Since it appears our old friend Go-Figure may have permanently bit the dust as an easy way to create boards I'm looking for other ways for people who don't use GNU or Snowie to create and post problems.

As you may have already seen some GABBI posted boards floating around it should be no surprise I'm considering linking them. I want to know what you think the pluses or minuses are. GABBI was created by Simon Woodhead and there are some smooth looking boards.

GABBI's Main Page

GABBI Help File (if needed, rather intuitive)

I'm going to list the areas that concern me. I have not contacted Simon about any of these yet in case he sees this and screams "You didn't even ask!?" He's right, he may be able to alter some of this, I just want a feel from the rest of you.

1. With Go-Figure it created HTML that linked to directories on my site so that now even if Go-Figure rests in peace forever, the diagrams created will remain as long as this site does. With GABBI however an image is created and you can link to and it will load on this site. That means should that site ever be taken down all of those links/images would cease to work. If someone later tried to reference positions in old posts there would then be no diagram.

2. Since the board is linked off site it takes a second longer to load. This is generally only a fraction of a second, many of you might not even notice it (esp. if I hadn't mentioned it) but depending on your internet speed and what other things you have going on when you view this site, it could have an effect.
  3. It takes a minute to set up a position, even for the fastest of connections and internet junkies. As you'll see if you try to set up a position, every time you remove or add checkers the page needs to refresh.

Simon has also offered to customize a board or features for the site. I like two of the default boards personally though won't state my preference because if we do decide to go with GABBI that'll be another question, board of preference. He has also customized another board for Nack that appears on Nack's site that I really like.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.