[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Backgammon course

Posted By: Bob Koca
Date: Monday, 29 December 2008, at 6:55 p.m.

Thanks to those who gave advice before. I decided on eight 1.5 hour sessions and a class geared towards beginners and low intermediates. This will be for the community shool non-credit classes offered through community college of Baltimore county in fall of 2008. No text but I will point to free internet resources. An outline for the course follows:

SESSION 1 i) short history of backgammon ii) rules of backgammon including a stressing of common misconceptions and differences between social and tournament play. iii) What life skills does backgammon increase? iv) Students play at least one game and afterwards discuss observations on strategy

SESSION 2

i) Four basic gameplans of racing, priming, blitzing, and anchoring with a sample game of each and when to aim for each ii) More on history, the early 1900s and the doubling cube gets introduced

SESSION 3

i) Backgammon probabilities ii) Counting the race and how it affects the choice of gameplan iii) More on history, the 1970's golden age.

SESSION 4 i) Duplication and diversification ii) More on history; The internet and bot age iii) How to use a bot to improve one's play.

SESSION 5 i) More on duplication and diversification ii) How to think while playing

SESSION 6 i) Introduction to doubling cube strategy in money play and in tournament play ii) How a tournament is run

SESSION 7 i) How to improve ii)Where to play

SESSION 8 i) Sample tournament ii) Individual comments between games

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.