[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Holy Shit @ GNU

Posted By: Stick
Date: Thursday, 8 January 2009, at 12:08 p.m.

Tonight I had decided to spend some time writing a brief but useful tutorial on how to set up and edit positions with GNU since it is not as user friendly as one might hope. I get halfway through the process and accidentally click the Edit button. My world changed.

You must have build .90 installed for this to work. If you do follow me, open up a new instance of GNU. I want to make sure you have a couple of settings changed to the easiest way to edit positions so for this trial do the following:

Settings >> Options >> Dice >> make sure Manual Dice is selected.

Settings >> Options >> Match >> put the Default Match Length to "0".

After you've changed these go to Settings >> Save Settings and close out of that GNU window completely and open up a new instance of GNU. Now, hit the Edit button at the top center of the screen and select a dice roll. (you can't select doubles)

There you go, you can edit the position and when you're finished depress the Edit button and play the dice roll and click the dice to finish the turn. Then go up to the game record panel, highlight the play you made, and analyze it. (analyze >> analyze move)

By setting the default match length above to "0" you've set your preference for a money session to be started. This is my personal preference but you can of course change it to anything you like. It's also beyond easy to change it once you are in edit mode.

You still can't select doubles immediately for the dice. I always have the bottom person on roll so if you want the bottom person to play doubles you give the top person a dice roll first. In case you forget to have the top person on roll you choose the dice set where the higher die is on the left. After choosing the dice depress the Edit button and play the roll. You can now click the center of the screen on the right hand side and select the doublets you wish to be played. After selecting them press the Edit button again and set up the position as you wish. After re-editing the position remember to exit out of edit mode again by depressing the Edit button before analyzing or rolling out anything.

The same goes for a cube decision. You will want to put the opposite person on roll first. Edit position, give them a dice roll, depress edit, make a move for them, press Edit again, set up the position, then depress edit again and turn the cube. Always do double/take and then go up to the game panel record and analyze the double even if you think it's a pass. If you hit double/pass GNU will take you to the next game. It sounds like a lot of steps but it really isn't.

If this was common knowledge and I'm the only person who didn't notice it you can point & laugh but since nobody has ever mentioned it to my knowledge I thought it might be useful to some of you.

Any further questions let me know, I wrote this on the fly but it's so easy it should be accurate.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.