[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Progressive vs Traditional Last Chance for ABT events

Posted By: neilkaz
Date: Friday, 16 January 2009, at 4:05 a.m.

As everyone here who has read a few of my posts knows, I greatly favor a progressive LC vs a traditional one for the hectic weekends that are ABT events. The sad tales of Richard Munitz from Jersey City last weekend only serve to further increase my desire to help make things run smoother since so many conflicts are caused late Saturday night and on Sunday. These conflicts will be clearly reduced by having a progressive LC since many more players will get 3 losses and be out of the main event and freed up for side events, or blitzes or jackpots or whatever.

Anyhow..lets assume a typical big 64 player ABT event. Both a traditional LC and a progressive LC format can be run without ANY byes (although one time there will be a point where the losers from the conso feed into the LC a round ahead, which is not a time problem since those in LC play 5's while the conso plays 9 pt matches.)

OK lets look at the traditional LC starting on Sunday morning. We'll assume that the main event has played down to the final 4 who get prizes and that those 4 who lost in the money round played a match in rd 4 of the conso to get the conso down to 8 players...

So here's what happens(should happen) in on a typical Sunday with 8 left in the conso.. They start at 10 AM and the 4 losers join the 52 other players with two losses to make 56 to start the LC, typically 11 AM although delayed somewhat for those couple 10 AM 9 pt conso matches run that take a good while. Anyhow, 56 players start the LC as equals and then should play two rounds resulting in 14 players, hopefully by 1:30 PM or so when these 14 can be joined by the two unfortunates who lost in the money round of the conso to create a group of 16 who play down to the winner of the LC. Presumably four 5 pt matches can finish in 3 or 3:30 and the LC ends about 4:30 or 5 PM...at times after the main finals has ended and usually after the conso finals are done.

With the traditional LC, it isn't til players lose in the first rd of LC (ie no earlier than 11:30 AM Sunday, that ANYONE is out of the event and free to deal with side events.

Now lets look at my layout for the far superior progressive LC....

At the start of play Sunday morning at 10 AM for conso there are still the same 8 players left in the conso, but because conso losers have been playing LC Saturday night, there are only 16 players left in LC. The 16 players in LC can still start at 11 AM and be met around 11:45 to 12 PM by the 4 losers from the conso to make 12 in the LC who play down to 6 and are met again about 1:30 PM by the 2 losers from the conso to make 8 players who play down to the one LC winner.

In comparison of the two formats we see the conso is exactly the same and same timetable but the 4 losers of rd 5 of the conso (first match Sun) join 12 remaining in the LC rather than 52 and the two losers of rd 6 of the conso join 6 players in the LC rather than 14.

The net result is that the LC ends sooner ..ie there is one less 5 pt match to wait for, and more importantly many more players are freed up earlier to play side events.

I strongly support a 100% switch to Progressive LC for all ABT events.

I see no reason not to do this and point out that at a typical 64 player ABT event the LC winner gets 1/12 of the prize pool and slightly more than 5 ABT points...ie there isn't a ton of equity at stake in the LC so lets get it over and done with and free players up, and allow many other players to not be tortured playing til 2 am and starting at 9 am since they are involved in side events conflicting with other players still in the main.

See me in Charlotte if you're interested in my layout for a bye-less 64 players progressive conso event.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.