[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Clock Time Management

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Wednesday, 21 January 2009, at 6:47 p.m.

I would hate to think that I would ever put myself into a position where I was in a critical last game or two, maybe DMP, in a meaningful match with, effectively, no reserve left. And all because I tried to be cute and 'efficiently' use all my allotted time. One never knows how many games, other than the obvious maximum, a match may last nor the complexity of those games. Leaving oneself with no time reserve is foolhardy, in my opinion.

Sure, any reasonably talented and experienced player can play a decent game using only the 12 second buffer -- but is it their best game? Obviously not. And no one will ever convince me otherwise.

I watched Perry G. play a long match in Cannes in '07 which came down, as I recall, to a single game, maybe even DMP. The game was extremely complicated and tense -- Perry began the game with something on the order of 20 minutes reserve left and the opponent was essentially playing on the buffer. Perry had the occasion, and the time, to spend several minutes on each of several critical plays -- the opponent had to be concerned with not cocking dice and playing immediately. Perry won.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.