[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

When to run the last checker

Posted By: Stick
Date: Monday, 26 January 2009, at 1:04 p.m.

Since nobody ever answered Tad Bright's post asking for criteria on when to run the last checker I thought I'd play a few games forcing the "should I run the last checker" issue to come up. These are by no means the best examples out there, I just played a money game session and copied & pasted them as they came up. I also won't be rolling any of these out so if you're unsure of one or another roll it yourself.

People were waiting for Sam to respond but it seems his slacker ass hasn't been around the last few days, he'll be rightly fired next time I see him for not pulling his weight. His 'law', referred to as (Sam) Pottle's law states:

Always run the last checker.

[btw Tom Keith, Pottle's law isn't listed in your glossary]

Of course this is overdoing it just like the maxim "always hit" is overdoing it, but on the whole, these will be correct far more than not. To alter Pottle's law into a more workable adage I'd suggest

Always run the last checker unless there's a very constructive play elsewhere on the board

I didn't like the criteria Tad pulled from some site trying to apply it to running the last checker. Often it can be correct to run out into a double shot, a triple shot, or even a quadruple shot with the last man.

The reason running the last checker is correct more often than not is that when you have 14 checkers working offensively your key weakness is the abandoned back checker. If you get him connected to the rest of your force your game will be very strong. This assumes the opponent still has 1 or more checkers back and that you aren't running out into a completely hopeless race of course. It should be noted that running out with the last checker is still often correct even when down in the race if your opponent has men still to extricate, whether they be deep in your home board or anchored up. This is again because 15 checkers working in unison to pressure any remaining checkers is a winning game plan.

gnubg152

1O ' '2X '4X '3X1X ' '4O

2X ' ' ' '5O '4O ' '1O3X

Readers149

Position ID: mOfCATDg88gDIA Match ID: cIkZAAAAIAAA

gnubg139

1O ' ' ' '5X2X3X ' '1X2O

' ' '1X2O5O2O3O ' ' '3X

Readers128

Position ID: 4NuRAwSwbwcDIA Match ID: QYkSAAAAAAAA

gnubg173

1O ' ' ' '4X '3X '1X2X4O

'1X2X ' '5O2O3O ' ' '2X

Readers144

Position ID: 4DnNABbg28EDIA Match ID: cAkLAEAAAAAA

gnubg146

' '1O ' '5X3X2X ' ' '2O

'1X '2O '2O2O3O '2X3O2X

Readers139

Position ID: 4LvBDBCY7TgDCA Match ID: cIkZAAAAAAAA

gnubg152

1O ' '2X '5X '2X ' '1X4O

2X '2O ' '5O '3O ' ' '3X

Readers136

Position ID: mM/IATCMz8EDIA Match ID: cAkWAAAAAAAA

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.