[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Do Tournament Directors make too much money?

Posted By: Marv Porten
Date: Tuesday, 10 February 2009, at 9:25 p.m.

The many postings about the U.S. Open have not discussed what a fair financial return should be for someone who organizes a 3 or 4 day tournament. Should the profit be $1000, $5000, $10000?

If the U.S. Open attracts a field of 64 in the Championship division and 64 in the Intermediate division, the total registration fees will be $7680 ($4480 + $3200). The rakes for the two larger jackpots (assuming 16 entries each) total $1600. If there are 20 eight-player smaller jackpots, with an average rake of $8 for the 160 entrants, the total rake is $1280. Add another $2000 total rake (approximation) for the calcutta, the DMP Knockout, and the team event. The gross revenue before expenses is about $12560.

How much are the expenses: $3000? $5000? $7000? I would guess that $5000 is about right, so if all goes well the TD will have a profit of between $7000 and $8000. Does anyone think that the profit is too high? In my opinion, around $3000 to $5000 would be an appropriate profit for the organizer of an established weekend tournament. In the case of a new tournament, such as the U.S. Open, what if only 40 players register in each division? The fields in all events would be smaller. The total revenue would barely be enough to cover expenses. I have no problem with the director of the U.S. Open having relatively high rakes and registration fees for the initial tournament; he's the one taking the biggest risk. If the tournament is a success, the rakes and fees could be lowered in subsequent years.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.