[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

DGT 960 clock / Better iPhone clock

Posted By: Bill Davis
Date: Thursday, 19 February 2009, at 11:13 p.m.

I just received the DGT 960 clock and it is amazing. One inch thick and when folded, about the size of an eyeglasses case. Even boxed in its very sturdy cardboard case, I can easily slip it into my thinnest backgammon board.

After pulling away the plastic tab that keeps the small disc battery fresh (the battery lasts for an average 5 years), I opened the clock. I advanced the flashing time -- which simultaneously sets both clocks -- to 18 minutes. (You can optionally set each side individually with different times.) Then I forwarded the set until "delay" was flashing and advanced the clock to 12 seconds. I completed the entire process in less than 30 seconds without reading the manual. Happy days are here again!

The clock works perfectly with the timer button measuring a big 1.25 x 2 inches. The pause button is right in the center and foolproof. The DGT 960 even has an optional beep feature that warns you when you are within 5 seconds of timing out (but there is no way to adjust this setting).

There are two ways to turn off the clock and reset it. You can hold down the on/off button for one second; or you can simply fold the clock closed. When you open it, it wakes up (in adjustment mode) to a new game with your previous settings maintained.

At an average cost of $40 with the shipping, I predict the DGT 960 clock will take the backgammon world by storm.

The other news involves the iPhone clock that I have been advocating. There were two possible Apple clock apps. Steve Klesker has purchased and used both of them and will have a full review in the March Chicago Point. The one I suggested (Trileet Chess Clock for $2.99) was good, but Steve ranks Game Timer by Trivial Tech. far better overall. And it is only 99 cents!

In both cases, the iPhone chess clocks are EASIER TO SET AND EASIER TO READ than any chess clock I have ever played with; but if you don't want to spring for a $199 iPhone (with 2 year contract), or $229 iPod Touch, get the DGT 960.

Bill Davis

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.