[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Rollout settings for Magriel

Posted By: Hardy Hübener
Date: Monday, 9 March 2009, at 10:49 a.m.

I am presently working through Magriel's Backgammon (again). This time I want to do it right and send everything through GNU Backgammon. But what are the right settings?

The book concentrates on money game and for most positions no cube is displayed.

So I started doing my rollouts until I understood, that Magriel wasn't using the Jacoby rule. Jacoby is switched "ON" as a default setting in GNUBG. Also for me money game was always 'automatically' connected to Jacoby, that I didn't even think about the possibility doing money rollouts without it.

But I understand that there are backgammon servers that play money games without Jacoby by default. Does anyone play money sessions or chouettes without Jacoby today?

For some positions in the book it doesn't even make sense to roll, but instead the player on roll should have doubled before. It's easy to correct this by assuming that the opponent owns the cube. (That's what Bagai did for some of the position in his "Classic Backgammon Revisitied".)

What would you generally recommend? Rollouts with or without Jacoby? What makes more sense?

Thanks for yor answers!

Cheers,

Hardy my best regards

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.