[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

ABT Tourney Schedule

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Tuesday, 17 March 2009, at 8:55 p.m.

I wish Bill Davis, and others, would use their positions and influence to try to more equitably distribute ABT events throughout the year -- including consideration of location, size/attendance, etc. of the various tournaments. Also, perhaps the ABT point standings of the players.

In my estimation, ideally, the larger and/or more established tournaments should be given precedence over the newer tournaments.

Looking at this year's schedule we had the New York Metropolitan tourney, the Charlotte tourney, and Backgammon-on-Board in three consecutive weeks. Later, in May and June, we have three large tourneys (assuming the US Open catches on) in a four week period -- Chicago Open, US Open, and LA Open.

Some of the smaller (less well attended), more regional tournaments fill in some schedule gaps.

However, the whole schedule seems somewhat random to me and could perhaps use some review and polishing/tweeking to the benefit of all -- both players and tourneys.

As another example, it is nice to have a large, well-attended tourney such as the California State Championship to close the ABT year, but is it optimal to have a West Coast tourney, rather than a more centrally located tourney (or even an East Coast tourney recognizing the time zone differences), to determine the final standings? As it is, East Coast players cannot get home before Monday AM at the earliest.

Just random thoughts on my behalf. What do others think?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.