[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

It's a Social Game

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Tuesday, 24 March 2009, at 2:34 a.m.

Regarding the Stick/David Rubin discussion on 'celebration' and Adam Bennett's description of abusive behavior against him in a match in Chicago.

I witnessed neither. I saw limited portions of the Stick/David match but not the very end. So, it is hard to objectively opine on whether or not the 'celebration' was reasonable, excessive, or otherwise. I saw nothing of the events described by Adam.

Unfortunately, objectionable table demeanor/behavior is in the eyes of the beholder and varies among matches -- even within different matches of the same player. It reminds me of sexual harassment claims -- what is perfectly acceptable to some is highly offensive to others.

I'm not picking on Stick but I'll use him as an example. Stick and Ray played a match which was entertaining and fun for all -- apparently for them and obviously for the audience. They were bantering back and forth with no holds barred -- it was all of good nature and was given/received as such. I observed similar match play banter (smak, trash talk, call it what you may) including Ray, Stick, Petko, Rory, and others. And all were perfectly comfortable with it. Yet, in other instances, perhaps between players who don't know each other as well (including some of the same players), similar banter/comments/displays/facial expressions, etc. are offensive.

I think to remove the social aspect of the game is to destroy the game. Adam's suggestion that all should quietly play the game and stand/smile/shake hands at the conclusion, regardless of the outcome, provides a very sterile environment that I would not find enjoyable -- and I think (hope?) many would agree.

I think the important consideration is the spirit with which behavior is exhibited. Adam's decribed situation was clearly meant to be personal, spiteful, mean, etc. -- and is out of line. My impression of the Stick/David (and, again, I was not there) situation was that the behavior was innocent and not malicious or mean-spirited in any way. I've played David a couple of times and his behavior/demeanor was very quiet and restrained. By his asking our opinions of the end game behavior I think he demonstrates his respect for the game and for his opponents. I think he is very cognizant of the example he provides his children -- great future players in their own right.

Some of these considerations are analagous, in my mind, to the political correctness 'phenomena' rampant in the States. Certainly some behavior is outrageous and should not be tolerated; however, a lot of behavior is not outrageous and should be tolerated -- thicker skins should prevail. A zero tolerance policy on any perceived offensiveness is counter-productive to the behavior, and to the enjoyment, of all.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.