[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

How to play bot babies

Posted By: Tad Bright
Date: Wednesday, 8 April 2009, at 4:42 p.m.

Okay. I'm a bot baby. Sure I'm old, almost 50 and a baby boomer. And I have kids, an underpaying job with no vacation, a new fiancee all of which leaves me very little time to play and no time to play outside of bathrooms, the wee hours when all are asleep except me and the caffeine in my blood, driving to and from work, and lunch breaks. So since I started playing again in late December I've racked up 4000+ experience points and a rating of 1983. 1983 ranks me 38th on FIBS. I've achieved this playing 90% bots. Bots don't get mad when my cellphone fibs client drops on the 405 by Western. And they don't drop me when I'm slaughtering them.

So why does gnu still say so many of my games I play at the intermediate level! And what is at the heart of Ray's comment about Stick's doubling early and Steve Sax saying I should play against more humans and Neil saying he plays exclusively against humans (if I remember correctly)?

I dropped a cube recently because I knew my opponent should have doubled the roll before. A bot would have doubled. Playing bots a lot at specific scores i.e. 3a3a gives you a feel for when to double. What I don't know is how to double late. Bots don't do that. And I don't have the intuition from experience of when I can still take a late double a trick that Steve employs against me and other "takers".

Would a top human take apart an intermediate player more effectively than a top computer even if the computer is better? I'd love to see a compilation of all Ray's articles and posts on the doubling cube and psychological factors.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.