[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

New ways of gambling at backgammon

Posted By: Bob Koca
Date: Wednesday, 15 April 2009, at 1:35 a.m.

1)A lot seem to enjoy playing doubles. So next time you have a group of 4 try this instead of a chouette. Play 3 matches (to whatever number of points you like). One match for each of the possible ways of having doubles teams formed from the 4 players. You could even still do money games and just switch every game if you wanted. Could be more fun and more instructive.

2) Error rate matches seem to be increasing in popularity. For a real test of skill play an error rate match in which you call the opponent's roll. There would surely be many difficult choices.

3) For how often error rate matches are played, I am surprised there is not more done with the variance reduction. You bet on the variance reduced result of a match. To me this is superior since in a VR match you would still always make the move you think is best to win the match. In ER match you sometimes would do plays that you think are not the best to win the match. For examples i) if you have an optional double do NOT cube, it would add to your denominator counting as a close or actual cube decision), ii) sometimes play what the bot thinks instead of what you know is right. for example an opening that you've rolled out but you know 2-ply disagrees with. iii) if you are in a repeating position which you think is not quite a cube should cube it anyways. If you are wrong a repeating error kills you. iv) if you think a hit or some other play are close and have a closed board, then forced moves counting or not could swing the decision. v) depending on the bot used you could make more moves. For example suppose you have 111 bearoff and roll a 61. If you play 3/off 1/off your next play will always be forced. But if you play 3/2/off your next move is not forced if you a roll a 1. I think if all plays gives the same equity it should be treated the same as a forced move.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.