[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

More on Vegas

Posted By: Stick
Date: Monday, 20 April 2009, at 8:07 a.m.

The results are posted on the Chicago Point site but in case you depend on BGO we'll recap the BGO'ers.

John O'Hagan, getting quite the easiest first round draw in the main goes on to win the Championship division. I played John in the first round, I thought I played rather well with the possible exception of not recubing when I was up 12-9 and gave John a free sequence or three. I haven't checked the position wrong but retrospectively it felt very wrong not to cube him out at one point. I was justly punished for it. I don't know who else John played on the way to the finals other than uberfish Rory in the semis and Shinichiro Kaneko in the finals. There were a few Japanese players in Vegas and from what I was told not having played any of them they were quite strong.

I have no complaints losing to John since I am the Conso King. I got to play Ray in the finals of the Conso and we hedged some (originally loser got ~2k and the winner ~4k) and played for what was left. Lucky for Ray because the combination of my dice and his blew him off the board. I liked winning for the cash etc...but the realy victory was depriving Ray of his extra ABT points :) The match was recorded so we'll see our blunders at a later date. MCG did luckbox out though after having an otherwise uneventful weekend. He brought his Sunday game and swooped through the LC to pass Al Faller on this year's ABT points list.

The Super Jackpot was a tough field. I'm not sure of the *32* entrants but the field of 16 was pretty damn strong. I entered the 2nd round directly after our discussion here. I was super duper mega lucky to draw ubercrappie MCG in the first round. He 'lost' a piece of his video camera so we conveniently couldn't record the match. I'm sure he didn't want proof of getting outplayed by me and hearing it for the rest of his short life ($5 coming my way, side bet that I won't explain right now).

After I handily dispersed of Kid Smurf I turned to some guy who tried to outplay me in the opening. He may have well succeeded since early in the match I misplayed 31P-33B-63 for no real reason whatsoever. I was hazy the first part of this match with just reasons and made one other erroneous play that I know of. The match was not recorded and maybe half way through I came out of my funk and felt I played the rest of the match nicely.

From Nack to Munitz. Round of 4 we didn't talk hedge initially. I figured what always happen would happen, we'd get close to the end of the 15 point match, somehow arrive at dmp, and then hedge. Well, we got to -4 -4 and started our hedge, then turn around and we're at dmp and hedged some more. Richard had been playing real good from my perspective so I was happy to hedge. At dmp Rich was blitzing me, then a decent sequence and all of a sudden I'm the one blitzing him. He ended up with 3 on the roof against a 5pt. board and me bringing my checkers around. I left him 2 late shots because the dice were trying to tag my ass with no lube but Rich was unwilling to hit either shot and I brought it home.

Neil played Hugh in the other semis and I only saw glimpses of this match. Neil had some bad luck from the end of the match I saw and I would have preferred to play him to give the crowd what they wanted, it would have been a livlier match than the match I ended up having with Hugh. Hugh had watched my entire match with Ray and offered me an uneven hedge of the entire pool assuming I was the slight favorite and being of the same view, I accepted and was content.

Since there was now no money at hand I can sleep at night having overlooked a late in the match play where I voluntarily left a shot for no reason whatsoever that was probably a triple blunder or more and I was rightly punished severely for it. This match is recorded so it'll be interesting to see how we played overall.

It sounds like Jason Lee didn't hedge in the limited Jackpot so his 3rd/4th place finish didn't award him anything monetarily but I thought it worth mentioning.

Alan Grunwald won the Geezers tournament. Ageist mfers.

Alan also took first in the $300 JP and Rod Covlin got second. Wish I had been able to watch more matches this week. (well, not really, that would have meant I had more free time, which is almost always a bad thing at bg tourneys)

Bill Riles got second in the $100 JP and Petko and Stepan took 2nd in the doubles event where I was unable to carry my partner.

Hope I didn't leave any BGOliner results out of the mix. I'm going to go roll in my cash again.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.