[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Scale of Open/Intermediaate Players

Posted By: Ian Shaw
Date: Tuesday, 28 April 2009, at 8:50 a.m.

In Response To: Scale of Open/Intermediaate Players (Coolrey)

"Why the HELL Gnu can't have a Gnu error rate is beyond me!

It will say that you played 3.3 on Gnu which is expert, while on Snowie it would be 1.1 point below World Class!

ERs in the 5s and 6s earned advanced and intermediate. Gnu grades hard. "

Snowie divides your errors by the sum of moves played, yours plus your opponents. Gnu copies this method for the reported "Snowie equivalent error rate".

For Gnu's native error rate it divides your errors by the sum of only your unforced moves. Therefore, it is almost inevitable that the Gnu error rate will be at least half the the Snowie error rate.

However, the text gradings are based on the Gnu error rate, but the thresholds for each grade are based on the rates set by the Snowie developers. This is an anomaly, which means that Gnubg does indeed "grade very hard".

Still, it keeps you on your toes, eh?

The discussion of which method is better is complex. Gnubg's method seems more intuitive to most. However, Douglas Zare wrote a gammon village article some while ago explaining why he thought the Snowie method was superior. I don't recall his reasons, but I have a lot of respect of his opinions.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.