[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Participation in ABT events..Apr-June 08 vs this year.

Posted By: neilkaz
Date: Wednesday, 10 June 2009, at 6:18 p.m.

I will list the combined Open/Inter entrant levels from the T's for the two years and (at the risk that I may offend someone make a few comments)

Cleveland..this year 58, last year also 58.

It would be nice to see a bigger turnout here as Cleveland is centrally located and the hotel is in a fine area near the airport. One factor is that I don't think the area has large weekly clubs, but there's plenty of players within distance.

I do hope that the director gets rid of the DE format, especially if there's more than 32 players, since I often see time conflicts here.

Vegas ..this year 133, last year 130.

A fine turnout for a long event that isn't cheap to play in nor go to for some and noting that players have to take a couple days off work to play. While, there is a stigma about the Riviera, we have to realize that this isn't a creme de la creme upscale joint, and that it is as nice or nicer than some other ABT venues. The playing room and view are exceptionally nice and spacious.

I hope this event continues for a long time.

Atlanta ... this year 57, last year 56

A good tourney at a very nice hotel, but far from the airport, although MARTA trains make it accessable. Once again, stronger local turnout would be nice here. I do hope to see this event continue. I wish it was closer to the airport, but do realize that most players live northside and the the southside areas near the airport aren't very nice in general.

Chicago Memorial Day .. this year 65, last year 64.

I don't know why this event doesn't draw better and this year it was moved to a hotel very close to O'Hare Airport. quite a few local players participated, but where were players from area clubs (OK 2.5 hours drive) like Madision and central IL?.

This event should draw better than it does. Perhaps Memorial Day is a holiday where some can't get away due to family obligations. I certainly hope to see better participation next year.

So..my conclusion so far is that turnout hasn't dropped since last year. Would we like better turnout.?..you bet, but this is a lot of events in a shortish time frame. My thanks to those that did play and to the tireless efforts of the staffs.

OK now for a new event, held just this year. The US Open in DC. As we know, this was poorly attended and didn't have the best participation from the local area clubs as well. Only 45 players combined in Open/Inter.

Kudos to Chiva for taking the time and effort to run this event and I hope to see this event next year draw many more players. With all due respect I'll make a few comments about my thoughts about the lack of participation.

This is a new event sandwiched inbetween two other long standing events. People only have so much free time. This is a difficult weekend for those with school commitments (either student or work, or graduation) to get away. Chiva, is not that well know as director to the masses of players who don't play internationally.

The hotel was expensive. Great that it is near an airport so at least that transportation cost is small, but unfortunately DC is a very expensive area for hotels,(like NYC and noting attendance there was down).

Chiva took a chance with the hotel gimmick and it didn't work. Some local players realized that if they didn't stay in the hotel they'd pay 500 to enter with 430 going to the pot while those from outta town staying 3 nights would pay 400 with 330 going to the pot.

BG players can do the math, and a local can see that if half the players get the 100 buck kick back, the average ammount going to the prize pool in open is 380 when it costs 500 to enter. That is a very high rake for an event that had high rakes anyhow. New events need to have low rakes to attract attendance.

A discount on hotel for those staying all nights is nice and help fills the hotel and may aid the director in getting the playing room at reduced cost, but seriously this discount should come from somewhere other than the prize pool.

I do most certainly hope Chiva perseveres and runs the US open again, but in a different location, and a less expensive hotel, and without anything that might be considered gimmicky.

Just my opinions...once again appologies if me speaking them offends anyone.

.. neilkaz ..

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.