[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Oops this was the White position

Posted By: Rich Munitz
Date: Saturday, 18 July 2009, at 6:55 a.m.

In Response To: Oops this was the White position (neilkaz)

Sure would be nice to win a bg here. But that might happen with the safe play anyway. And blue needs to win an extra BG for every G that is blown by ripping 2, and 3 extra BGs for every game lost.

So what's the likelihood of winning a BG?

White needs 5 crossovers to save bg.

Playing safe, blue needs 5 crossovers, so it is like a 3 roll bearoff with white on roll, but better for blue since white misses with aces (11 being really bad) and some small numbers, so figure blue gets the bg 30% of the time. Lets give blue 100% gammon wins here.

Ripping 2, Figure 70% no-hit, and its sort of like a 3 roll bearoff with blue on roll, but better for white since blue did not roll a double but worse since white misses on aces (11 really bad). So figure white saves bg 20% of these. That's 56% bgs. Say 57% because blue will win a few slime bgs after getting hit. I'll guess that white manages to save gammon 60% of the time after hitting the shot (18%). So that's 82% gammon wins.

So it looks like blue wins about 27% extra bgs by ripping, but wins 18% fewer gammons. They trade off 1:1, so ripping gains 11% here.

Figure with 11 checkers off, blue is losing 25% of the 18% for about 4.5% game losses. You need 3 bgs to compensate for a loss. So that's like giving up 13.5% bgs. That puts ripping behind by 2.5%

Conclusion: Play safe.

(Sorry Adam, your instincts are right in my opinion, no enlightenment coming from me.)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.