[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Teach a Poker Fish

Posted By: Stanley E. Richards
Date: Sunday, 29 April 2007, at 5:34 a.m.

I have been waiting to write this post for a long time. I decided to deny myself this pleasure until I became an expert backgammon player. Well, I have not arrived at this level. I am getting close. I enjoyed a 5.8 Snowie rating during 46, 7 point matches against Snowie during April. However, one good month is not enough to be an expert. I was a bit less than expert in April online play. In fact, I have never played at expert level online for a month. In order to truly be an expert, one must play at said level every month online and in practice against a Bot.

However, I can no longer wait. I want you guys to tell me how to become an expert poker player. I was going to wait until I was a backgammon expert before learning a new game of skill. But, I now want the action that poker can bring and backgammon cannot. One may have to wait a long time to find a backgammon online game. This is not true for poker. Thus if one is truly skilled, one can earn money with online poker. Earning backgammon money is a longer, slower process.

I am not naïve. I do not believe that I can become a poker expert in a few months. I have no desire to play middle or high stakes poker. For several months, I will enjoy “play money” online poker. Then, I will play at small stakes for several years until I can graduate to middle stakes. Heck, I have been seriously studying backgammon since February 2004 and I am still not an expert.

Now, I am truly poker ignorant. I really am not sure if a flush beats a straight. But, I am smart and willing to seriously study the game. This really is not bragging. Most of us are smart when it comes to Math and Science. This is why we excel in these games. I may never be able to become an elite top 10% talented player. But, even if you play at only the 80% level, you have a good chance of taking money from 80 out of 100 players. Also, I am patient and discipline. Brilliant individuals with vast knowledge of the game can hurt themselves without self-discipline. Gambling is not for the impulsive.

This is what I need. For instance, I would suggest to a novice backgammon player to purchase Lamford’s “Getting Started in Backgammon” and Robertie’s “501 Essential Backgammon Problems”. I would suggest downloading GNU Backgammon. I would suggest strongly considering purchasing Snowie because of superior user interface and tutorial. Match play favors the most skilled player but is a slower means to earn money online. Match play cubing is more challenging. I would advise that Play65/GammonEmpire has the most online players. TrueMoneyGames has a fine interface with fewer players. However, TMG may be the only place where some Americans can gamble.

What are the two best poker books for novices who seek to become experts? What is the best “free” poker Bot? What is the best professional poker Bot? What are the advantages of the professional Bot? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each popular form of poker? Which are the best sites to play? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each site?

Fortunately for me, I know where to get these answers. Many of you are great poker players. Stick has taught me a lot about backgammon. I know that he will be quite helpful.

Stanley

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.