[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Instead of a Calcutta

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Tuesday, 8 September 2009, at 12:53 p.m.

There are many things wrong with Calcuttas, regardless of how they are structured, and I won't bore you with my complete list, but the major problems are:

1. the Calcutta is the biggest flag to the authorities and to potential sponsors that this event is about gambling and is illegal; 2. it takes up a lot of valuable time that could be used for playing, or simply for sightseeing and relaxing and socializing; 3. MOST participants don't participate

Instead, I cam up with an idea that I think is a great improvement over the Calcutta. I suggest that every player who enters the tournament is given the option to place a bet (up to half of the entry fee amount) on any player he wants. The bet is that the player will win, come in 2nd, or win consolation.

The return on the bet is figured the same way the returns are figured in a horse race, so it is just like betting on a horse, except you don't know what your odds are until after everyone has placed their bets. It is likely that the return on a bet on a Giant will be less, but if too many people think that way and don't bet on the favorites, you might get a great return.

This is fun, fast, easy to do, and probably will generate as much action as the auction. Because players could bet a minimum of $20 up to, say, $200, then everyone is more able to participate depending on their desire to take risks.

Also, you would be allowed to make a bet on both the Open and Advanced divisions.

Another advantage of this approach is that it doesn't take up tournament time, just a little more time at check in (or the bet can be placed any time until the draw is made, and the directors will not let anyone know where the action is loaded).

Lastly, I would not publicize this bet on the brochure or web site (again, so that the event does not look like a gambling event), but simply post a sign explaining this process when players check in.

Yes, I know there are ways to abuse this and there can be all kinds of drawbacks, but I am simply suggesting that this is better than a Calcutta for all of the reasons stated above.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.