[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

The chouette of my dreams

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Saturday, 12 September 2009, at 4:57 a.m.

Malcolm's recent article on GV caused me to give this some thought....for any who don't know me, I play in a chou almost every day and have for some 20 years, so these are not new thoughts to me.

In the chouette of my dreams, here are the rules I would love to see:

No settlements until the cube is at 4 or higher--why hold up the game and waste a lot of time making a settlement that would be very little different than if the game were just played out every time? For higher cubes, settlements are good because they keep both parties for extremely large losses, and that is healthier for the life of the chouette and the happiness of the individuals involved

Mandatory extras—if you drop a cube and someone else takes, you must give an extra and they must take it. If you are saying a position is a drop, you should put your money where your mouth is, and if you are saying it’s a take, if you want to play the game, you had better be willing to bet on it.

Equal action on the cube—it really is “nasty” to consistently pick on the weaker player and give “gifts” to the stronger players and force them to sit most of the games on the sidelines.

No consulting—depending on the players, consulting chouettes can be worse than listening to people blabbing on and on in doubles matches. With no consulting you cut down on tedious arguments and ego-positioning and bravado and hurt feelings, but you also get in a lot more games in the course of the session.

Retaining the box should not just be about beating the Captain, but also winning points.

Equal stakes for all—I have played in chous where some players are at different stakes than others, and it simply should not be allowed. With or without consulting, it simply leads to hard feelings, the artificial creation of a hierarchy, and more difficult scoring. This also applied to players starting the cube at different levels or automatics.

Winner treats--if you are at a cafe or restaurant and one or more players have won a considerable amount of money (say, over $500), they should at least buy a round of drinks or maybe more for everyone there.

Penalty for leaving--you set a time when the game will end, and if you leave earlier and you are up, you pay 10% of whatever you are up to the person who is the biggest loser on the sheet. If you know, in advance, that you must leave at a given time, then announce that time when you sit down, and you can leave at that time without penalty...but you must leave at that time.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.