[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Taki Board Copy

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Tuesday, 15 September 2009, at 5:01 p.m.

Bill Riles suggested I post something about the new wooden board being made in Turkey that is a close copy of the Taki board. Bill, and others, resent people copying or "ripping off" someone else's design. Bill also questioned my motives for showing off one of these boards in Madison and posting a link to their web site from my web site.

First, I did not buy this board. It was sent to me from Mete Topcuoglu as a gift. It was a real surprise when I opened the package and saw this beautiful board. And with it there was a note thanking me for being such a great backgammon teacher and helping him become one of the top players in Turkey.

I have NO FINANCIAL INTEREST in his company whatsoever. About a year earlier, he asked me what I thought the best board was, and I put him in touch with Taki, and he bought a board from Taki. I had no idea he was going into production.

Taki has been making boards for over 25 years...even if patented, he has no rights to the design, so clearly what Mete is doing is not illegal. The boards are not identical....Mete's joints and construction are, in my opinion and that of many, superior. His surface is of a material that is synthethic, but it looks and feels great, cleans up easier, and will last longer. He doesn't have the beading that Taki has, and many (including me) think that Taki's boards are a plus in that area. Taki boards generally come with thicker checkers, and most people prefer that (I see advantages to both and the Turkish checkers are lovely).

I now own a Taki board and have owned 4 different ones over the years. I have paid Taki a lot of money repairing those boards and replacing the surfaces. I have also owned several Zavoral boards, and partially because they are less complicated and lighter, the maintenance is far less than a Taki board.

I have been good friends with Taki for over 30 years. We still play in Chous together several times a week, and three nights ago we had dinner together. I showed him the Turkish board and he said that he accepts copy as a form of flattery, and he readily admitted it was very well made.

Because the boards are made in Turkey, and because of the high cost of shipping, Taki said he doesn't believe this will cost him in sales...he's making about 8 a month and that's about all he has time for.

Bottom line, I love my new board. I appreciate that Mete sent it to me as a gift with no strings attached, and I put a link to his site on my site out of gratitude and to try to help him out. I have no financial interest or I would say so. (I do make $5 every time someone buys Extremegammon and checks my name, and I have told everyone that from the beginning...but I promote Extremegammon because I know it is a wonderful product that will help people's game and because I am proud to have had a part in the development of the software.)

I hope that answers any questions.

If you resent a newcommer copying Taki's board and selling it, then I would say to you, don't buy it. I believe the market is plenty big enough for both of them. I also believe that Mete's improvements might force Taki to finally improve his board as well. That is what competition is all about.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.