[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Chouette Ruling

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Saturday, 19 September 2009, at 9:21 a.m.

In yesterday's chouette, the box was a 2-player team (2 against 4). They doubled outside player, and one took. Later they doubled the Captain and he dropped. Before the other player sat down, the box player rolled, made his play, and picked up his dice. The player said it doesn't count...he didn't see the roll, but the box's partner said he saw it and they both argued that they certainly would not cheat. (To add to the problem, it happened to be a very good roll for the roller.)

I, and others argued that it is not a matter of honesty...how do we know the dice really were not cocked? How do we know the move was made legally? And also, because the action was unsportsmanlike and discourteous, that, for no other reasons, should make the roll not count. I felt that the closest thing we have to a rule that applies is the "fast-roll" rule...this was very much like a fast roll...rolling before he should have.

The "overriding" principle in my opinion is something I have always felt should be added to the rules of all chouette and tournament player: "if there is any doubt about the fairness of a ruling, the ruling should tend to go to the benefit of the party that did not initiate the action that caused the problem."

This can apply to so many areas that are gray areas not completely covered in the rules, such as the ambiguous "capricious" handling of the cube, or someone making a comment out of line about their intent to take or drop a cube, or someone intentionally interfering with the roll, or improperly stopping the clock, etc. etc.

After some discussion, the roll went over. Unfortunately, the dice gods, always ready to screw somebody, gave them an even bigger joker than the previous roll.

(We do have a rule in our Chicago Chouette that if anyone does anything that is unsportsmanlike, or is found cheating, he must sit out for one game.)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.