[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Chouette Controversy Number 2

Posted By: Joe Russell
Date: Sunday, 27 September 2009, at 9:42 a.m.

At our club recently we had a very unfortunate controversy occur. The chouettes are generally fun, fast-moving, and very peaceful, with good sportsmanship the standard. Our chouettes are fully non-consulting at all times. The box and his partner are never allowed to consult on anything except the cube and even then may not discuss the reasons for their preference. The situation involved the two leading 'game-makers' at our club. Maker-1 was the captain, stuck a ton, and had started his cube on 4 with the box and his partner, Maker-2. The box doubles and all except M-1 pass and offer extras, which M-1 gladly accepts. The cube reaches 16 between the box and M-1. The box misses a 2-2 play that would have practically locked up the game and likely have gammoned M-1. As the game goes back and forth it comes to a point where the box, on the bar against a 4 point board, rolls a 6-4 which can enter on the 21 and hit 22-16. Box plays quickly bar-15 not-hitting and M-2, his partner, says; 'what did you roll?'. Box replays the roll making the hitting play. M-1 goes ballistic shouting the hit should not be allowed because of M-2's comment. I should state at this point that M-2's eyesight is not very good and it is a general practice to call out the roll to him so as to make sure he does not see the roll improperly. But, he was not playing this game and it was very possible, or even likely, that Box would have not seen the play without the comment. The difference in the plays was probably two points equity on a two cube. M-1 calls over the owner of the club and asks for a ruling. The owner asks me what happened and I tell him and everyone agrees with my representation. Box states that he would not have picked up the dice and that he would have seen the play without the comment. Before the owner makes his ruling, I and all outside players, we had given extras, agree to wash the game with M-1. Box and his partner, who had made the comment, adamantly refuse. The owner rules the game a wash. Box says okay but M-2 refuses and says he wants the hit to stand or to collect 8 points, his half of the 16 cube. M-1 gets mad, gets up and leaves the club. M-2 insists that he wins eight points on the game because M-1 left and refuses to pay eight points of his losses and also leaves.

What should be done? Obviously the fact that these are two long-time game-makers and key to the health of the club is an important consideration. Also, that they are generally honest and fair. If I were the club owner, I would try to get M-2 to pay his losses and if unsuccessful I would eat the losses myself, tell M-2 to never comment when he is not playing, and move on.

No, Steve Sax was not M-1 or M-2, he is a fish and we refer to him as F-1.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.