[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Factors for Tournament Attendance?

Posted By: adambulldog
Date: Friday, 2 October 2009, at 11:24 p.m.

This may have been covered already (I know Stick has talked about it), but I am curious as to the various elements that factor in to everybody's decision to go a tournament. Here are mine, in more or less descending order:

1. Competence and likeability of tournament staff. This is essential to me. I really can't stand needless delays and staffers who don't know what to do when you report your result, and I don't much care for unfriendly staff (although unfriendly staffers are pretty rare.)

2. Ease/cost of travel. This pretty important--I can't afford $600 airfare, and as much as I want to go to 1,000 Islands (for example), every year the journey seems too daunting.

3. Quality and price of venue. This element also includes things like quality and range of restaurants within walking distance, and quality/price of the hotel restaurant.

4. Size of field.

5. Size of rakes. I understand the need for directors to make a buck or at least break even, but I also kind of cringe at playing in side events raked at 20%. I also don't like the side pools being raked, even though I don't play in side pools. I think 10-15% should be the norm for everything except maybe the beginner flight.

6. City. Mostly this doesn't matter too much, since all you see is the inside of the playing room. But some tournaments are held in nice spots, and this can be a big bonus.

Anything else?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.