[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Common Errors?

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Monday, 5 October 2009, at 2:57 a.m.

It might be instructive for many for various players to note common errors made -- generally in checker play. It may seem boring, but I'm sure some of the less experienced players might appreciate the comments. I'll toss out a couple I see, in my opinion, all too often, even at times among Open players.

It should be remembered that almost no 'rule of thumb' is absolute (seems there is always the exceptional circumstance); however, maybe noting common situations will provide food for thought to players gaining experience. I know I look forward to some potential comments from Neil, Stick, MCG, David, JohnO, Rich and many others.

If one is trying to keep from getting gammoned; has, potentially, only a single roll left; must leave a single checker in each outfield; and has an ace remaining to play; I often see players use the ace to move the checker in the opponent's outfield from an even number away from his six point to an odd number away from his six point -- which generally accomplishes nothing (requiring the same doublet to get home). I almost always use such an ace to move the checker in my own outfield closer to home. Conversely, moving the far checker from an odd number to an even number from your six point often adds another working doublet. (an easy tip is to remember the even number points from the six point are the same color as the six point)

Then the common situation of not leaving oneself vulnerable, on a last gammon saving roll, to 4-4, as an example, by leaving a checker outside on the 8 pt if the 4 pt is otherwise void.

In trying to beat a gammon with two checkers still out, I even saw someone in Colorado use an ace to crossover and leave two checkers on the twelve point (requiring a 6-6 to save the gammon) rather than leaving a checker on the eleven and thirteen points (where 5-5 and 6-6 save).

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.