[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Factors for Tournament Attendance 3

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Tuesday, 6 October 2009, at 12:15 p.m.

While we're on the subject, I really believe we need to make tournaments more family-oriented and more fun for all divisions below the Championship level.

Tournaments are far too much about the money and about gambling. There is virtually no money involved in Duplicate Bridge, and it is not uncommon to see 4,000 people at their national tournament.

I have no problem with big entry fees, side pools and Calcuttas for the Championship and Masters where we have world class players and professionals competing, but the rest of the divisions should be low entry, no Calcutta, and all about playing for the fun and excitement of the game.

Entry fees for children should be free, or at least very low and subsidized by the rest of our fees. Scheduling for all but the Championship division should be light to allow for plenty of family time and sightseeing so these trips can be more of a mini-vacation. Children and novices should be offered free lessons and seminars just for them so they will feel more comfortable about playing in tournaments.

Again, none of these recommendation would affect the Championship division except that these changes will encourage more people to bring their families and their kids and come to more events because their families will enjoy them more.

Bottom line: the "purpose" of tournaments should be to provide strong competition and rewards at the Championship level, and fun and enjoyment and less about competition and winning at the other levels, and more about encouraging more people to come so that the game, and tournaments, will grow.

I'm tired of seeing the same old faces. I'm tired of seeing very few children and families at tournaments. I'm tired of hearing people cry about why the game isn't growing as fast as it should be. Let's do something about it!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.