[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Surprising opening replies

Posted By: John O'Hagan
Date: Wednesday, 7 October 2009, at 3:55 a.m.

In Response To: Surprising opening replies (Timothy Chow)

43U-61: 7,5x unstacks your position and if oppt hits one of your 2 blots, you have good chances to enter and cover the other one or return hit. You don't really need to split to the 18 with the 6 since oppt still has the starting position on his side of the board. You could make the bar but the value of this point is reduced with oppt double split high in your board. Hit and down is clear if you're the better player since it leads to a more complex game but I think a weaker player should KISS and just make the bar which leads to simpler positions.

52S-41: 13/8 has been the standard play for years. The main alternative is the dbl split but oppt has 9 men in the zone so that's a little dangerous. 13/9 24/23 is possible as well but it's not worth leaving a direct shot on the 9.

There are lots of other surprising results in the 2nd roll tab. Ex, 52S-32 where 6/3x 13/11(a play I've never seen any of my opponents make) is the winner. Or how about 43D-64? Running is the very close winner but the major split 24/18 13/9(a play which I never would have considered and which I also have never seen any of my opponents play) is a very close 2nd. The complexity factor would, I think, make it correct if the 64 roller is the better player. How about 43U-65? 90+% of the time your oppt will quickly play lovers leap but the RO shows 24/18 13/8 to be the better play. These are just a few of the many eye openers you'll find there.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.