[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Bona fide example of a stoplight chart

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Wednesday, 21 October 2009, at 12:29 a.m.

Recently, I suggested the idea of a stoplight chart for summarizing the match cube action at various scores for a particular position. Encouraged by the feedback, I worked out a real-life example of a stoplight chart, which you can view here. It is a one-checker closeout with five checkers borne off. The appearance of the chart surprised me, so I would appreciate it if someone else could verify the entries.

While producing the chart, I realized that something I said in my original proposal didn't make any sense. I originally had separate colors for "initial double, take" and "redouble, take" as well as for "TG for initial double" and "TG for redouble." But it makes no sense to put these two colors in the same chart because someone facing an initial double is look at a 2-cube whereas someone facing a redouble is looking at a 4-cube (or higher), so the decisions are not comparable. For a stoplight chart to make sense, one has to fix the cube value and location as well as the checker locations. A pity that I can't use all those pretty rainbow colors, but in the end it's surely better to have fewer colors to remember.

I might create some more stoplight charts, but I don't think I'm the right person for the job of building a library of match cube reference positions. I have very little match experience and I don't have that much computer power available. However, if a bunch of bgonliners are interested in building such a library, I could act as a coordinator and host the results on my website.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.