[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Another Tough Chouette Ruling

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Thursday, 22 October 2009, at 10:21 p.m.

This happened in our chouette today:

Player A rolls. He is bearing off. His move is forced. He has to leave a shot. He is pissed. He make the legal move and instead of picking up his dice he just sits there and shakes his head. His opponent rolls and hits the game-winning shot.

Player A says his dice were still down. The other player nicely states, "Your fucken move was forced you asshole and how was I supposed to know you were going to just sit there and stare out the window instead of picking up your dice?"

Of course, the strict interpretation of the rules is that the roll does not count, but is that what should really be enforced in this situation?

Now, consider this scenario. What if Player A had started to reach for his dice but then stopped, for no good reason. And then his opponent rolled and hit him? Would that change your ruling?

Lastly, REGARDLESS of what the rule says and REGARDLESS of what you think is fair in these situations, why not have rules that are more explicit and make it very clear. I know it can be argued that the rules are clear, but why leave any doubt. As a tournament director, I would hate to rule against Player B if Player A made a move for his dice and then just stopped for no good reason other than to have the benefit of seeing the other person's role and having an option on it.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.