[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

My thoughts for a potential rule change...

Posted By: rory
Date: Friday, 23 October 2009, at 8:04 p.m.

Over the years I have been witness to at least 5 matches that were played to a length that was longer than what should have been. I had to make a ruling on this at last year's Chiocago Open and the ruling was easy as the rule is clear...

4.9 COMPLETION. Each game must be rolled to completion, unless ended by passing a double or redouble, or conceding a no-contact position as a single game, gammon or backgammon loss. Neither matches nor games may be canceled, replayed or settled. Players are responsible for playing to the posted match length. The first player to reach the posted match length is the winner.

On Tuesday's at the Chicago Bar Point Club there are two tournaments...

1) Master's tourney, 16-player, single elimination, 9-ponts 2) Open tourney that guarantees each player 2 matches...after your first match if you win you continue in the main bracket but if you loose you go to the consolation bracket. Main bracket matches are 7-ponts, cosolation 5-points.

Earlier this year after each loosing our first match in the Master's I played Lucky Nelson in the first rouad of the Open tourney. We played our match to 9-points instead of 7. I went up to report my loss to Bill Davis. He picked up the tournament bracked sheet and as he turned it over to write Lucky's name in I realized we should have only played to 7 making me the winner. I told Bill and Lucky about what I just realized and Bill ruled me the winner. I felt like a total jerk even though this was a correct ruling. I went back to the score sheet and realized I had doubled on his Crawford game making me feel like a bigger jerk. I asked Bill if we could roll it off rather than just letting it stand. He stated that he could not condone such action. Regardless, I went to Lucky anyway and offered to roll for it. He appreciated the gesture. I won the roll off and the point was moot with no hard feelings. Lucky and I are friends so I am pretty sure there would not have been any hard feelings anyway.

So my suggestion for a rule change is...

If a game is played to a length longer than what should have been then the director should go back and review the score sheets. If there was no Crawford game then the first person to reach the winning point total wins the match. If there was a Crawford game and the cube was turned, the double is annulled and the players' score cards are corrected so that the number of points won corresponds to the number of points that would have been won if there had been no double, and the match is resumed.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.