[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Match recording ruling

Posted By: Jason Lee
Date: Saturday, 7 November 2009, at 8:37 a.m.

One of my opponents today somewhat objected to me recording a match by video camera. Actually, what he objected to was that I didn't ask his permission first. I told him that the reason I didn't ask his permission was that I didn't think I had to -- honestly, this stuff has become SOP for me. He seemed pretty affronted by this, so I asked Howard to rule. The guy told Howard I was "being unpleasant", which is a complete crock of crap, and I made that quite clear to Howard. After Howard told him that his rule was that people who want to record are entitled to do so, this guy proceeded to regale me with tales of when he apparently played BG with dinosaurs, since he invented backgammon notation, and ended his wonderful story with a flourish... "I always asked permission before recording a match."

Through the course of the match, I hunkered down, since that seemed to mildly tilt him... as I was blitzing him from here to kingdom come, but apparently rather focused on the job at hand: "Why are you so serious, this is just backgammon?" Since he seemed so interested in my facial expression, I hiked my unabomber hood down over my face as far as I could yank it. "Why do you want to hide your beautiful face?"

Not long after... match over, Unpleasant JLee def. Gammonosauras.

Now you might say, "Why not just ask your opponents if it's alright if you record the match." I suppose so, but what if the answer is no... then I'm going to ask for a ruling. If the director insists that I can't record it, then I'm going to tell him that I'm never coming back to his tournament, and will raise holy hell about it online, and might even just forfeit and leave on the spot. I've read all about the Malcolm Davis incident not too long ago, and I'm 100% in the 21st century camp. Clocks are phasing in, video cameras are a way of life. This is modern backgammon, where I DON'T remember a time in which some opening 53's were played 13/8 13/10.

JLee

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.