[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

SJ side pool snafu

Posted By: Matt Cohn-Geier
Date: Sunday, 8 November 2009, at 3:16 p.m.

So in the Super Jackpot players can buy into the round of 32 for $1,000 or a round ahead for $2,000. This has been the format for years and was discussed on this site earlier this year.

This time they added a new wrinkle of paying 4 places and adding a $250 side pool. I didn't notice the side pool on the flier, but when I went to register I was informed that there was a side pool. So naturally I asked how much--$250 whether you enter the round of 32 or the round of 16.

I point out that it should probably be double if you buy in a round ahead. Howard or staff says that since the flier/etc. said this for this year they'll keep it this way and change it in the future. Fine, probably not what I would do but whatever.

Eventually I decide to buy into the round of 32. If only the players in the first round buy in, then it's exactly like any other side pool. However, if only the players in the second round buy in and I'm the only player in the round of 32 who buys in, I am basically laying them 2-1 odds on their money. Since players who paid an extra $1k to buy in a round ahead are much more likely to buy into the side pool, I don't enter the side pool. In order for it to be break-even I would need to be almost an overwhelming favorite vs. the field.

I play my first round match and win and mention this to Kit who speaks to Howard. Howard says what he's going to do is give the people who bought in at the round of 32 $125 back. Kit believes that this hurts him (since he already won his first match). I think he definitely gained in this exchange (there would need to be more than double the number of players who bought in in the earlier round for him to break even). I say OK, now I am in the round of 16 and you haven't done the draw yet. Let me buy in at the round of 16 price of $250. No can do, Howard says. Even if what I am saying makes sense mathematically I can't be allowed to buy into a side pool after having already won a match because it would be setting a bad precedent. Well, yeah, but the conditions of the side pool were changed after I had already won a match. I would have bought in in the earlier round had the odds been fair.

Anyway, now I am in the finals vs. Stick, and the equity I would have if I had entered the side pool is about +$800. I am not terribly bitter but I am mildly bitter.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.