[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

54D 33

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Wednesday, 11 November 2009, at 2:58 a.m.

Here's another opening reply I've been puzzling over: 54D 33. If I hadn't seen Stick's rollout, I would have guessed that the top play would be 33C, i.e., 24/21(2) 8/5(2), or possibly 33B, i.e., 24/21(2) 13/10(2). My reasoning would have been: 24/21(2) is typically a good use of two of the 3's, especially if there is a priming threat, as there is here. With the remaining two 3's, 13/10(2) is the "default" play, and is probably close to best if not the best, but since there's some chance of hitting the outfield blot, it's also a good option to make a home-board point. The 5-point is better than the 3-point and since the opponent has not split, making the 5-point does not leave a direct shot.

The rollout results are consistent with the above reasoning except that the rollout ranks 33E (i.e., 24/21(2) 6/3(2)) and 33C in exactly the opposite order that I would have ranked them. That is, 33E and 33B are essentially tied for first place, and 33C is about 0.016 below them.

Now, when the equity differences are small, sometimes a tactical issue can override strategic issues. I can't see what the tactical issue would be here, though. Perhaps it's that after 33C the opponent's blot is relatively safe because my 5's are duplicated?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.