[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

The Education of a Phearsome Poker Player

Posted By: Daniel Murphy
Date: Friday, 18 May 2007, at 3:37 a.m.

I wonder if Stick would bless us with a few words on how he got in to poker and quickly became the awesome competitor at limit hold'em, razz, omaha, draw, Snarkle City Lowball .. the list goes on, I imagine.

Some players (Ed Miller comes to mind) started off as losers, did some thunkin', and step by stepped up from the microlimits to wherever they are today. Other fine limit players (Michael Hall aka Abdul Jalib comes to mind) pretty much skipped the lower limits and started at, oh, the $10/20 level. Hall, for instance, once a rec.gambling.poker regular, admits to never having mastered the wild'n'crazy California style $3/6 game -- why bother, when there was money to be made at $20/40? Some other poker writers also advise the astute fast reading quick learning novice to skip right up to a limit where some actualy bucks can be made.

I know I've seen some related comments from you, Stick, mentioning a few books you've read (Supersystem?) and a preference, I think, for limit ring games over No Limit tourneys. Are there card rooms in Ohio? Do you play much live?

Signed, an Inquiring Micro Mind (who laughs to think that the stakes he last observed Stick in action for were 800 times larger than the stakes at his own last table).

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.