[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Clocks

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Monday, 7 December 2009, at 5:04 p.m.

In LA Patrick used clock settings of 2 minutes per point with a 13 second delay -- don't know how he came up with 13 seconds, seems like such an unusual number.

Anyway, I don't know what the deal was but I've never seen so many matches in a single weekend get into so many time binds. I saw at least 15-20 players with under 1:00 of remaining reserve.

Harvey Gillis lost to Justin Nunez in the Super-32 on time. Justin had been all but gin for the match leading 11-5/13 holding a two cube when he got hit with ten checkers off and the match ultimately went to DMP. The final game began as a blotfest/hitfest and turned significantly when Justin fanned against Harvey's two point board and three home board blots -- and for good measure Justin fanned again the next roll against three points and two blots. Harvey was still in a commanding position when his brain froze and he let the final seconds tick off the clock.

As mentioned in another post Ray beat MCG -- and Ray had 4 seconds left at the end.

Then, of course, there was the (in)famous Adrian Costa vs. Gary Schachtschneider match where Adrian played the entire last game with a single second of reserve and Gary ended with 2 seconds reserve. Watching Adrian play the last game reminded me of Franz Klammer's Olympic downhill ski victory -- the entire game was on the edge like a disaster waiting to happen but he survived.

It was just strange to see so many matches end with so little remaining time. I don't know if players are getting more comfortable with the clocks and not rushing earlier in matches or if it was just coincidental in this tournament.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.