[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Fast-roll tournament ruling?

Posted By: Matt Ryder
Date: Wednesday, 9 December 2009, at 6:38 a.m.

Apologies if this has been discussed to death, but I'd like the forum's thoughts on how to deal with the following tournament situation:

In the final of the main, one of the players in a recent Johannesburg knockout tournament displayed a tendency to fast roll. His opponent had cautioned him several times in front of witnesses. At a crucial juncture in the bearoff (and owning a cube on 4), this player fast-rolled then snatched his dice after they'd landed and rerolled. 66s spilled out the cup and the player had a massive 8 cube as a result. His opponent called for a ruling, claiming that this player saw he was rolling low and took the opportunity to illegally try again for something bigger.

The 'premature action' (fast-roll) rule we were using was that the dice must stand.

There was some debate amongst the TDs about the appropriate penalty. Some options:

1. Require that the 66 be rerolled.

2. Deduct one or more points from the offending player, or add one or more points to the aggrieved party.

3. Place the cube in the middle.

All of these options seem arbitrary, and not really justifiable. My own preference is for:

4. Declare the 2nd 66 roll illegal, and require the player to skip his turn.

I feel that this penalty would come closest to following the spirit of the rules. It seems clear that the player should not have picked up his dice prematurely, but as a consequence he illegally forfeited his turn. His opponent can elect to condone that forfeiture, but his reroll should count as a separate turn -- and the TDs should step in to prevent two illegal plays in a row.

What makes most sense here for our future reference?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.