[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

New Mexico Calcutta

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Wednesday, 27 January 2010, at 7:29 a.m.

I would love to get some feedback on the options for calcuttas. Please tell me which of the 4 you would prefer to see:

1. As the auctioneer for New Mexico, I have proposed the Calcutta I have run at three previous tournaments with, I believe, great success. It involves putting the top 1/3 in column A and the rest in column b and letting the successful bidder pick a player from A and two from B. I think this is fun, fair, gives people an additional reason to bid (so they can put themselves on the team they like), and gives people an additional reason to come to the auction.

2. Another option is to have columns A, B, and C and pick one from each.

3. If we do a typical calcutta where we set the teamd, my prefernce is NOT to team up the best players in one or two-player fields and the rest in 3 and 4 player fields, but rather to spread the best players at the top of teams. That way, everyone will have at least one (seeded or top) player on their team...someone to root for that has a decent chance to win, and I think that will encourage more bidding, more buy-backs, and just more fun for all.

4. What about putting teams together on a complete draw/random basis? Yes, it is very likely that one or two very strong teams will emerge that way...but that should make the bidding interesting and the bidding should even out the odds.

Thanks for your help. (The final decision will of course rest with the tournament directors, but it certainly can't hurt to give them feedback from the many highly experienced players on this forum.)

Phil

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.