[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Two Other Santa Fe Occurrences -- Tournament Dilemmas

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Tuesday, 2 February 2010, at 3:53 p.m.

Two other interesting circumstances occurred in Santa Fe that are worthy, in my opinion, of mention and discussion -- I was involved in one of them directly, the other indirectly.

At every tournament there are always the problems associated with people's travel arrangements in departing on Sunday. Certainly this is impacted by the much discussed tournament delays associated with slow play -- obviously, not necessarily related to those attempting to leave early. However, I think we all must recognize a risk in scheduling early- to mid-afternoon flights on Sunday if we advance toward the finals of the main, the consolation, or the last chance.

I played a Last Chance match against a very good player, and a very good friend, and lost at DMP. Because of some of the tournament delays, and the progressive nature of the Last Chance, his next match, ultimately, was not ready for 2-3 hours. He had to leave to catch his plane and forfeited. I think this was unfair to me and, even moreso, unfair to the owners of his calcutta team.

Jeremy Bagai reached the Consolation Final and was in a time crunch to catch his plane. He and Paul Weaver, who was staying until Monday and was gracious in trying to accommodate Jeremy, approached Patrick (appropriately) with the idea of splitting the moneys and ABT points so they would not have to play the match, allowing Jeremy to depart. Patrick would not hear of it -- he finally agreed to let them play a clocked 5 point match rather than the scheduled 9 point match. He noted the integrity of the tourney and the ABT, further he noted the calcutta ownership interests of numerous other participants. I think he handled it well. Jeremy and Paul did not argue and sat down for the high-level, high-class match we would expect from the two of them.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.