[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

We are better now

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Sunday, 7 February 2010, at 11:26 a.m.

I have a copy of the 1977 "Monster Quiz" created by Magriel and Goulding with 24 checker play problems, the answers, and the explanations. Kit Woolsey had the highest score and won a free trip to Monte Carlo.

Several of the answers are clearly wrong according to the modern bots. Certainly it is not fair to criticize Magriel, Goulding, or Kit as they did not have the benefit of these bots, so I will not publish their errors, but a few of their answers are off by so much it is clear that we are better players now.

Kit won the contest by getting 17 out of 24 right, and the next best player, Hideo Kato of Japan got only 13. I got 10 right, however, after checking the half answers by rolling them out to statsig in XG, I really got two more right so far, so I'm up to 13, and I am still rolling out the second half and will know in a few days.

So the point is that someone like me, far from the best players in the game, is scoring pretty close to what the best players of 1977 scored.

I also find it interesting that when I gave a 10-question checker play quiz last weekend in New Mexico, the player with the best score was Kit Woolsey!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.