[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Nordic Open 2010 - Denmark v. The World - Edited

Posted By: Stick
Date: Wednesday, 10 February 2010, at 6:58 p.m.

A very exciting event is taking place at the Nordic Open this year. The idea may have sparked from actual posts here on BGO started by Bill Riles and continued further by myself and Christian. Original Post

This year each team consists of a captain and 7 players.

The Danish Team

• Morten Holm (captain)
  • Gus Hansen
  • Sander Lylloff
  • Mads Andersen
  • Lars Trabolt
  • Thomas Kristensen
  • Marc Olsen
  • Pia Jeppesen

The World Team

• Stick (US - captain)
  • Peter Heitmuller (Germany)
  • Falafel (Israel)
  • Mochy (Japan)
  • Fernando Braconi (Italy)
  • Matt Cohn-Geier (US)
  • Michy (Japan)
  • Katja Spillum (Norway)

The format is quite interesting and I will explain it shortly. This event is expected to carry a prize pool of over $400,000 (US).

In trying to compose the World Team initially we set out to represent as many countries as possible. We discovered that it wasn't as easy to stagger the countries as we'd hoped. Francois Tardieu for example would have been a nice addition in many ways to the World Team but is unable to participate. Upon realizing we may have to compromise the strength of the team to diversify the countries we decided to make the strongest team possible ignoring the goal of every player being from a different country. I think we still did a fine job of getting some of the most talented players out there and representing many different countries.

The event will be broken down into sessions, two per day, one early session and one late session. It will start a day before the main starts as to not overlap too much with play. The team that wins each session will win 10% of the prize pool for doing so. Any ties that 10% will be carried over to the next session and so forth.

The match length of the entire event is 43 points. Teams will receive points along the way for the individual matches they win and that will be counted towards their final tally.

Day 1 - early session

The early session on the first day will consist of dmp matches. Three players from each team will be selected and each player will play 7 matches. All matches are clocked and the time controls for this will be 3 minutes reserve time and a 12 second delay. Each match is worth one point towards the overall match length. That means there are 21 points up for grab in the first session.

Day 1 - Late Session

The late session will be clocked speed backgammon matches. These will be 5 pointers with time controls of a 10 second delay and 2 minutes for the entire match. Three people will play 3 matches a piece with each match being worth 2 point a piece so 18 points are available for this session.

Day 2 - Early Session

This session is doubles. Each team has two doubles teams that play 1 match a piece. These are 9 point matches with a 15 second delay and 3 minutes per point, or 27 minutes of reserve time. These matches are worth 4 points each so a total of 8 points are up for grabs in this round.

Day 2 - Late Session

The singles session. Two players from each team play a singles match to 11 points. Time controls of a 12 second delay and 27.5 minutes of reserve time for the match. Each match is worth 4 points so a total of 8 points are available this round.

Day 3 - Early Session

This is the ladies event. It itself is not worth 10% of the prize pool but will be used to break the carryover if it has made it this far, up to 20% is possible to carry over. There can be no ties in the ladies event. Pia will be playing Katja three 7 point matches worth 3 points a piece towards the overall match totalling a possible 9 points for this round.

Last Day - Last Session

This is full consulting team v. team. Each team begins this 43 point match with the points they've accumulated throughout the event. So far there are 64 points possible. Up to now 40% of the prize pool has been allocated to the teams winner the respective sessions. The other 60% will go to the team who wins the entire match as decided by the full consultation show down.

The entire event is to be filmed, streamed online is the idea, and all matches recorded. Everyone including the captain may play up to 3 sessions and everyone including the captain must play at least 2 sessions. (including the final session as 1 of the sessions)

The pairings will be known well before the event and posted. I have likely forgotten a detail, please feel free to address any concerns or questions as everything is subject to change but in large finalized. Betting will be available at 1,95 on either team. Morten Holm will be in charge of this.

Stick

PS - There is only one person to my knowledge who has ever deleted a post on this site and that's me. If I delete your post I wouldn't think posting it again would be the way to go. If you want to know why, send me an email. If you can wait a half an hour you might see why. If I allowed the other post to stand it would have brought more clutter, posts, and questions that I intended to try to answer in one post. The link originally posted can be found here.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.