[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

College Course in Backgammon

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Friday, 12 February 2010, at 6:24 a.m.

As you may know, I am teaching a course in Backgammon through the accounting dept. of Georgia Southern University. 18 students meet twice a week, and I do one webex a week with them; Don Berecz leads the class and handles the other day of the week and administrative responsibilities.

The USBGF Education Committee will be putting together course materials and make them available to anyone who wants to go to local colleges to recommend similar courses, or, the material may be used in conjunction with starting backgammon clubs at schools (high schools or colleges). The long-term goal is to have inter-school competitions and of course, grow the game as a result.

We will be setting up an "education fund" in the future so that we have money to help these kids buy boards, books, and maybe even travel to tournaments or pay entry fees. In the meantime, we are looking for all the help we can get in terms of donations of good backgammon books, boards, or even money to help fund the program. And we are always interested in hearing from people who are willing to get active in their local communities to sponsor a club or teach a course.

Much more will be posted on the USBGF web site in time, and you will be hearing more about this at tournaments, but in the meantime, we wanted you all to know that things are happening in this area and that, if you are interested, you can help. Contact me, my assistant Chairman, Joe Russell, or another member of the Education Committee of the USBGF.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.