[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Clock concerns - your thoughts please.

Posted By: Frank_N_Stein
Date: Tuesday, 2 March 2010, at 7:42 p.m.

Before stating my concerns let me say; I am a pro clocks for the sake of keeping the tour flowing on time, and due to my lack of live play in the past few years I have never played with a clock. Until I have my own clock experience I am relying on the posters here to address my concerns and help me understand.

I have read practically all of the posts regarding clocks. One of the well respected giants of our game has stated he believes the clock settings are where they need to be. This is coming from a person that knows more about this game on his pinky than I may ever know. My point is this, he plays the game second nature and sees the board in ways I don’t. He is capable of playing his very best and should not be concerned about timing out against me. I am basing this on the ability to play second nature and when he does play horrible he is reduced to my level of play.

On the other hand, in order for me to beat the giant I must focus hard and make sure I see alternative plays in order to make a good playing decision. How can I ever hope to defeat him if I do not do this? I can not rely on the luck of the dice to do it!

Do you think the giant has a twofold advantage with the current clock settings? 1) He is a stronger player and in order for me to think things through I am prone to timing out? I am not suggesting I slow to a crawl. Just not use the fast roll and move some of us have come to call the norm of play, and 2) The giant sees my clock is running low and chooses to shift gears and play very complicated positions that he can play second nature while I have to scratch my head causing time to run off the clock or make blunder after blunder from not thinking clearly. LOL, even if I think clearly the blunders can still appear.

Do you believe my concerns have merit and if yes should they be addressed?

Another giant has stated he believes the clock settings are tight and should be loosened up a bit. If this is true, how much should they be loosened up to keep the tour flowing and give the player like me a fighting chance to win?

I wonder if others feel the same? I also wonder how others feel if they time out and lose if they will be encouraged to play again under the same conditions? I know me, if I time out or are pressured to play with little clock remaining I won't be happy and will have to weigh out if I ever play again. Yes, I am only one person, but again, how many others have had these thoughts cross my mind?

I respectfully look forward to your replies.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.