[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

15 yards?

Posted By: garyo
Date: Sunday, 7 March 2010, at 6:54 p.m.

I'd hazard to guess that everyone that wins an event has a competitive fire in his/her belly. That leads to some frustration in BG because the dice do not always play "fair". I have seen and heard enough of this fire that lingers on after the competition. I don't believe that there is a place for it in a civilized society. In order to be a true champion, one must be able to control this fire and extinguish it once the event is over. Both for the good of the game as well as the psyche of the individual involved. The past has passed and cannot be rewritten no matter how much one would like it to be. The dice gods have spoken. The rollout gods may speak, but their voices have no vote and ruminating upon what could have been are worthless.

Unsportsmanlike conduct should not be tolerated. No matter how well one plays and how poorly the opponent has played, there is no room for bad behavior in our game. Arguing with the umpire will get one tossed from the game in baseball, even if the instant replay overturns the umpire's decision. It's not the correctness of the player, but rather the proprieties of conduct that are being judged. While I'm not in favor of tossing people from the game, I do believe that certain people need be counseled. If bad behavior is tolerated, then it is being encouraged.

Good sportsmanship is the mark of the true champion. What makes a good sportsman tick? I believe that we need to find out. We need to nominate a committee of the good sports who can counsel the poor ones.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.