[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Touch moves

Posted By: Bob Glass
Date: Tuesday, 9 March 2010, at 1:30 a.m.

I propose a radical change in the way backgammon is played. All moves should be touch moves. I hate it when I am playing in a tournament and my opponent is shuffling his checkers back and forth several times often moving several different checkers. Sometimes they forget to move one of the checkers back to its original position. When an opponent rolls doubles, following the movement of all the checkers can be excruciatingly challenging. Sometimes I fail to remember the original position (despite my prodigious card counting skills). It should not have to be my responsibility to remember the original position every time my opponent virtually "messes up the checkers." Players like Gaby Horowitz used to use the shifting checkers as a way to cheat. More often, the "shifty" player just gets confused where they started from and the opponent is just as confused. Just as the single set of dice use in clock play solves many problems in backgammon, I think touch moves would cut down drastically in the occurence of illegal moves or outright cheating. An experienced backgammon player should be able to visualize where the checkers go without actually moving them.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.